When you live the life of a hermit, communication skills generally become rather rudimentary. Mine usually ride the range of technology. I feel safe in the world of black and white blinking cursors. There, thingsare black and white. What I write is what I mean. If there is a suggestion of something deeper, it can be uncovered in the permanent pages. Face to face conversations, and (god forbid!) phone calls, make my life a living hell. Suddenly body language can tell a story that contrasts tone of voice. You can lose yourself not only in the juxtaposition of contradictions, but you may also lose the tried and true signs of attraction—signs which I recently sleuthed the Internet for. (A bit ridiculous? I was desperate. And I flirt like a broken faucet.)
I should have a button that says, “Don’t talk to me. I’m Awkward.” Someone better watch out.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Season 2 i: I Heard Music

Setting: Davies Center, UWEC, Eau Claire

He showed up with Ben. They were attached at the hip. Friends from high school, a year apart. He was lanky, tall and a little bit goofy. He was charming. He knew his musical stuff. It started there.

My sister, co-chair to the Concerts Committee, made us introduce ourselves with some silly favorites game. I refused. (I can't pick a favorite anything for the life of me. My favorites develop slowly and stick. Kinda like my interest in guys.)

The meeting ended, but my crush had just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment